Monday, April 30, 2012

Cisco connect guest password

Let's understand, What is Cisco connect software?

Guest network is a feature of Linksys E-series and EA-series and Valet routers that creates a separate network for guests. Cisco connect software is the installation program that comes with new Linksys E-series , EA-series and Valet routers. Cisco connect software will let you manage your network easier.

What is guest network access?

Guest network access is a very good feature that you can use with Cisco Linksys E series and EA-series routers.
If you are using Linksys E1000, E2000, E3000 router then you need to install cisco connect software in order to use this network. Without this installation program, you will not be able to use this network. If you see the unsecured network in the available wifi list then you must have installed the program.
If you are using Linksys EA-series router or E1200, E3200, E4200, E1500 router then you can manage the settings without installation software also.
You can simply open the setup page of the router and change the network settings.


So you will be having 2 different wi-fi connections.One is your primary secured access and other is unsecured guest access.
Now if you have friends coming in, then they can use this unsecured access only to access the Internet. Computers connected to this unsecured SSID will not be able to access your main network. They can not connect to the computers in the main network or they can not access the router settings. The guest access will be totally different network. The IP address of the main network will be in the range of 192.168.1.X and this virtual network will be 192.168.33.X (where X may be any number).

Guest network is not unsecured.

The guest access will show unsecured and anyone can connect to the unsecured network. But they can not access the Internet without entering the password. That means there is a password for the unsecured access also.

How to find guest password?

Go to your main computer. You must have installed the Cisco connect software on your main computer. If it is Windows computer then Click on Start => Go to All programs. In the All program list search for Cisco connect. It might also be on the desktop of your main computer.

On MAC computer. Go to Applications and search for the installation software.




If it is not anywhere on your main computer then it will be difficult to find the password.

If you are using Linksys E1000, E2000, E3000, E2100L then you may need to reset and reinstall the setup program. Because you can not use guest network without setup program.

If you are using Linksys E1200, E3200, E4200, E3500, EA-series routers then you can open the setup page of the router and check the wireless settings.


Go to Wireless tab and click on Guest access settings. You can change the number of guest users, change the guest password or you can disable it also.



If you are not able to open the setup page or the Cisco connect software then you will need to reset and reconfigure the router.

 Use Fix Home Network's Easy Network setup Guide !


3 comments:

  1. I have installed the cisco connect software on my main computer. I have the screen and I can see the guest password. I can connect to the guest network but it is not asking me for the password. I tried restarting the computer but it is not asking me for the password. Is there any way I can enter it manually?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not able to access Internet through guest network. My computer is connected to the guest network and I entered the guest passsword too. But when I try to go on the Internet, nothing happens. It says page can not be displayed. The main network is working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Linksys E1000 wireless router which I reconfigured just a while ago. This router was working before but I accidentally resetted it. When I try to reconfigure it using cisco connect software, it did not find my router 3 times. Finally I installed it manually using setup page.
    But now I can not use Guest network because I changed the settings manually.
    How do I get guest network back ?

    ReplyDelete